Horticultural Pavilion

Horticultural Pavilion between Carlton and Gerrard Streets

In 1879 the Society opened a new Horticultural Pavilion between Carlton and Gerrard Streets. Designed by the architectural firm of Langley, Langley and Burke, this impressive 75’ x 120’ wood, iron and glass structure was later expanded with a 45’ x 48’ conservatory on the south side. One of the finest facilities of its type in all of Canada, the new building was in constant demand for promenade concerts, gala balls, conventions and flower shows. Despite the park's increasing popularity, debt forced the Society to sell its interest in the park and surrounding lands to the City in 1888.

The City initiated a program of improvement and expansion. In 1894 it replaced the old conservatory with a more spacious 90’ x 61’ facility. In tribute to the accomplishments and memory of George Allan, it was renamed Allan Gardens shortly after his death in 1901. In 1902, the Toronto Burns Monument Committee presented the City with a life-sized statue of Scottish poet Robert Burns, which still stands at the east end of the park.