The 1920’s saw two new greenhouses

Allan Gardens Conservatory

City architect Robert McCallum

A disastrous fire on June 6,1902 destroyed the Horticultural Pavilion and parts of the conservatory. City architect Robert McCallum designed its replacement, the classically proportioned domed Palm House which opened in 1910 and stands on the site today. The 1920’s saw two new display greenhouses added to the north and south ends of the Palm House. The City rejuvenated the park from 1956 to 1963. With new lands acquired along Jarvis and Carlton, the total site grew to almost 13 acres. In 1957, it constructed additional greenhouse wings to expand conservatory display space and reconstructed the adjacent garden areas.